keskiviikko 27. marraskuuta 2013

My communal identity

I have a lot of working experience of multicultural virtual teamwork and I see that will be a way of working at the future too. When working virtually in the global enterprise with people from different culture, people who you haven´t ever met, there were assumptions made as studies say. According to studies, since there is no time to build necessary trust for team members, you just start working with the assumption of trustworthiness. And in the majority of the cases it really works. If there is time, I´d like to have some early trainings for the team to build even more effective one. It´s though quite usual thinking that in order to save time (even that is not always the case) new project teams just start to work together.

Recently I have used online communites and social media a lot for learning. No matter what the subject is, there is a lot of information existing online. The more recent information I want to know, more likely it´s to be found online. I´m not sure if there is a need to belong so many expert communites any more, just be online and you are able to find information and discuss whatever interests you.


I find the role and significance of peers in the development of a multicultural online teacher identity, as in any other topic too, very important. I see that if you want to learn and develop in any matter, it´s much faster and more effective way to learn from and with others than doing that yourself. So also the way of learning has changed compared to what I have originally learned at school. I have experienced the learning from the peers is a must in the development at work since there is no time to do it alone. Peers have also helped a lot in any informal learning I have done. There too I have experienced that together I have learned much more in a shorter period of time. Based on my personal experience, I hope the peers will be used more in learning at schools too. It´s much faster and nicer to walk with the pair of shoes than just one shoe. There are of course exceptions.

2 kommenttia:


  1. Hi Tuire,

    You consider and reflect deeply and diversely your communal identity and the significance of peers in your learning on the basis of your practical experience. Your communal identity seems to be very powerful and it will be great benefit to you also in your work as a teacher.

    In connection with the teachers virtual benchmarking projects I have previously coordinated, I read your writing looking forward how do our key findings meet/match with your experiences in business sector. It was rewarding / encouraging to note that many things we have spoken really seems to work also in the multicultural businesss sector.

    Irja





    team training in order to help collaboration and team building

    VastaaPoista
  2. Hi Irja,

    to me it seems that business sector is a bit ahead of learning communities with changing the way of working. I have wondered the reason. Maybe the motivation for change has been stronger in business than in education.

    Tuire

    VastaaPoista